Sunday, June 17, 2012

Where Lad Goes Baby Book CRAZY!!

Father's Day has blessed me with a baby book bonanza and I just don't know what to do with myself. Oh, wait, I do know what to do. I'll give you all reviews for the three daddies-and-their-babies books that I read yesterday. Hooray for Father's Day and for father's all across the globe.

The Good Life by Dianna DeRicci

One word, people: Adorable.

Chad and Sony have been friends since they were little kids. Sonny is the big bear with a heart of gold and a shaved head. Chad is the kind of nerdy one who doesn't know just what a good person he is.

Sonny is calm and pretty much the rock in Chad's life. Actually, Sonny is pretty much the rock in everyone's life. This is good because the story opens with Chad freaking out after finding out that the friend he donated sperm to has just died and left the newborn baby to Chad. Sonny is called and what ensues is the start of a little thing called family.

Sonny and Chad together were just sweet as apple pie. You really feel the fact that they love each other and would do anything for one another. Watching them settle into family life with little baby Annalee was very heart warming. The progression was convincing and at the end of the story I felt like they were a couple who would be watching their grandchildren play one day.

This story was satisfying and I can definitely recommend it.

P.S.: I WANT Brian and Dex's story SO BAD. 


When Souls Collide by N.J. Nielsen
This story was such a disappointment to me. I was excited about it because it's COWBOYS and BABIES. Two things that I love, but this story was not something that I ended up loving.

Riley's an Australian who's been kicked off of the ranch of his dead wife's family. Now Riley and his newborn son have nowhere to go, no money and no prospects. The family's driven him to the middle of nowhere in the middle of a cold and rainy night. Dramatic right? I know but I was sticking with it because of the cowboys and babies.

In any case, Riley ends up in a barn and is found the next morning by Noah, a big strapping cowboy. What comes next is gobs and gobs of drama and tears. Kidnappings, vicious rumors, hostility, cops, crazy women and...well, did I mention the tears?

Riley seems to cry quite a bit and I thought that he could have used a Valium or something.

With all of the melodrama and tears not even cowboys and babies could save this story for me. Recommend? No, I just can't.

 Almost Paradise by Caitlin Ricci
I was looking forward to the story and hoping so, so hard that it would knock my socks off. People were telling me not to get my hopes up and I was defending this story because shifters AND babies should be a recipe for greatness. I was the champion of the baby/shifter book.

This book though....this book did not work for me at all.

Travis is a guy who's won custody of his 2 year old daughter but lost everything else in the process. Liam is a shifter who works for his alpha, has money and two big puppies. You now know everything about these two men that I know. How is that, you ask? Because in 79 pages there isn't much of anything that's explained and it drove me CRAZY!!

Nothing is really explained about the shifters. Nothing is really explained about the little girl's ability to know they are shifters. Travis' back story is disjointed and hazy at best. The confrontation with the little girl's mother is a total WTF moment and the end of the story just made me go "That's it??!".

This story was just...not..good. I was actually frowning when it ended because not only had my hopes had been dashed, but they were stepped on and then set on fire.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for reading Almost Paradise and I'm sorry that it left you feeling so dissatisfied. I can tell you that far more will be explained in the next two books if you decide to give them a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will most likely be giving them a chance because I do want to know the answers to my questions. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, dear, it's not a good sign when you think one of the MCs could use a Valium... o.O

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the author got here first. I was going to say that I saw it's book 1 in a series, so I assume there is more to come. My review is tomorrow and I think my review kind of reserves judgement.

    I love the second cover, too bad it turned out to be a bit of a dud for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the first in a series but I felt like nothing was explained at all and then questions were piled on top of that. I just would have liked some sort of world building.

      Delete